Murphy’s Pub & Grill
The Rapid City Garage is significant to the commercial history of the area. Built in 1911 to be the first fireproof garage in the city, the building housed an early auto dealership, Canfield and Holcomb. The building has openings for large drive-through doors, reinforced floors and a ramp to the basement. Originally used for auto and parts storage, the basement retains its early elements of low ceiling, car ramp, and remnants of an exterior staircase. The first floor consists of a large open space, reflecting its original use as an automobile showroom and repair garage.
More recently, a series of drinking establishments left the location with an unsavory atmosphere. The restaurant and bar renovation reversed the building’s bad reputation by creating a new destination that appeals to different generations. Murphy’s is now an upscale restaurant and bar with a new main entrance from Main Street, and the exterior restored to its original design. The Main Street entrance features functioning carriage doors that honor the original doors. All the interior partitions and finishes were removed to expose the original brick and stone work, as well as the structural wood columns, haunches and trusses.
Year Original Structure Built 1911
National Register Of Historic Places 1984
Location Rapid City SD
Size 7,500 SF
Completion Date Summer 2011
Client Slainte LLC
Architect AcV2 architecture